Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A Few Quick Notes

Yesterday I had my interview with the European Institute of Women's Health. I think it went really well. My future boss Peggie is very nice, but she travels a lot. This NGO has great connections with the World Health Organization, the EU, etc., and I'll get the chance to do some significant independent research. My work hours are actually shorter than the average (only 10am-4pm) and I might be working at home on occasion. She stays in touch with a lot of the BU students she's had in the past and some of them are even coming back to do more research or work full time!

The only downside is that I'll be doing all independent projects. Sometimes I will be the only one in the office. I hope it doesn't get too lonely! I'll have to find other ways of meeting people than work.

Not to change subjects completely, but I've been doing a lot of reflecting. The more I see and do here and the more people I meet, the more I realize how I am a product of an American upbringing. More specifically, I am really the product of a New England upbringing. I'm often frustrated by the lack of efficiency around here. I feel like I'm on a forced vacation at times. When on earth do people get things done around here?? Places are never open the hours they say they will be, and everything is shut down by 5pm (except the pubs of course). I can only check out a few library books at a time. The library isn't even open on Sundays. The mail room is perpetually closing at odd hours. Customer service here is terrible, and even the Irish grumble about it. While in America we go overboard and say the customer is always right, here the customer is nearly always wrong, and the worker will give you a piece of his or her mind! I've had more than my fair share of confrontations in that area, which I've tried my best to just put aside and not make a scene. It's weird...in these situations in the U.S. I would get the manager, but here that is just not the accepted practice.

While some people may think that the slower pace of life is so much better than how we do things in America, I feel like there has to be a happy medium. It will be great for me to try and step out of the competitive, fast-paced American mentality for a bit, but I've also gained a greater appreciation for the efficiency and conveniences of American life. There are definitely pros and cons for both lifestyles. I'm learning to love Ireland, but I'm also learning how much I really do love the U.S., specifically Boston.

No comments:

Post a Comment